Friday, January 30, 2009

Another week shot to hell...

It's Friday and I'm sitting here trying to get up the energy to watch THE DARK KNIGHT on dvd. Or maybe VANTAGE POINT. I got both of these from some friends whose son in L.A. sent them good quality boots of these two. They also loaned me a copy of their daughter's producing effort, CRIMSON WATER, a slasher flick about a killer stalking teenagers after hours at a public pool party. Not too good. Bad sound, amateurish performances, bad dialog. Other than that it's great. For a first effort, not too shabby.
I just finished watching the old HBO series BAND OF BROTHERS, about the 101st Airborne Division who parachuted into Normandy on D-Day. A very good mini-series, possibly the best ever, with the obvious exception of LONESOME DOVE. In one of the last episodes, they hunt down a man who allegedly ran the death camp they liberated in the previous show; I recognized that flat German face as our old friend Dan Van Husen. He did a good job with just a few moments of screen time. Later on in the same episode (Points) an aged German general gives a touching speech to his men; played by Wolf Kahler, who was the Nazi in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. He's aged (but then I guess we all have)
So I've got my work cut out for me. All those movies to watch before I return them And I netflixed THE RUINS which looks pretty good. And about a hundred spaghetti westerns which I've been stacking up to watch someday. Guess I'll quit blogging and go do that.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your appreciation of BAND OF BROTHERS. It is an excellent work. Have you seen GENERATION KILL yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the calendar this morning and realized January is gone. It seems like Christmas was just last week. I've been trying to watch the Cheyenne TV series now being shown on Encore Westerns plus any episodes of Maverick I may have missed the first time through. BHC just remember when you could only watch what was showing on TV before VCRs and DVDs gave us the choice to be selective in what we viewed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Bill, I saw GENERATION KILL a few weeks ago, borrowed it from the same friends who loaned me the boots. It was really good, not as good as BAND OF BROTHERS, but with this quality it's kind of splitting hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B.o.B was epic, and I can go back to pretending to have good taste for a minute or two. Plus, now you can't say I never showed you anything good. I thought the general's character looked familiar, and now I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got our tv set in the summer of 60 and we only had one channel to watch. I watched everything and I liked everything I watched..."WE FINALLY HAVE A TV!" Now there are 8 kazillion channels and most everything is drek. Gotta agree on BAND OF BROTHERS....pretty darn good. Read or heard somewhere few months back that Speilberg and Company were working on a similiar mini-series dealing with soldiers in the Pacific campaign.

    ReplyDelete