Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Spaghetti Western Review


As far as I know, this one never got a release in the USA. It's got a great score (used often in commercials), good action, and kind of a soap-opera plot, but the actors do a good job and production values and sets are top notch. Leonard Mann and Peter Martell play two young gunmen who share a tragic past; childhood friends, they were separated when Mann's father was killed by his mother's lover. He was spirited away by a faithful servant while his sister (the lovely Pilar Velazquez) remained to be raised by the two murderous lovers. Rafael ( a brooding Martel, very good here), childhood friend and servant also remains, but is practically a prisoner of the household until he grows up and escapes, searching for the missing Sebastian. The evil Pierro Lulli is sent to bring him back. Complications ensue. This one has a bit more heart than most spaghetti westerns, and if you are a fan of the genre, you'll enjoy it. It's certainly one of my favorites! Also on this excellent Wild East release is THE UNHOLY FOUR aka Chuck Mull, so it's a terrific bargain!

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more. This is one of my favorite all-time westerns. Lulli, and Jose Manuel Martin are excellent villains. Martell and Mann have never beem better and the story has a surprise ending. The score is also one of the all-time best and there's plenty of action. I've seen this film dozens of times and never get tired of it. Ferdinanfo Baldi really did a great job directing this gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Tom! THE FORGOTTEN PISTOLERO is one of the best Italian Westerns ever made. Each time I view it--I like it even better!
    And, hey! It has SILVANA BACCI (the dancer in the cantina) and PILAR VELAZQUEZ in it---thus it is an instant winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you think of THE UNHOLY FOUR?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know about Tom, or BHC, Bill; but,
    I found THE UNHOLY FOUR to be entertaining. All of the principle actors do a great job with some interesting material. But, there is something about the theme music that grates on my nerves. I feel if they had used some different, less happy-go-lucky music--this film would be a bigger favorite. Again, Silvana Bacci is in it, so I have to like it for that, too! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete